A Day in the Life of Organics
Capture a moment from your “day in the life of organics” to share with Canada’s organic community!
The Canadian Organic Grower (TCOG) is eager to feature images of our very own people, places and activities in our magazine. We invite submissions of photographs that capture the spirit of the organic community in Canada—from farm and garden to market and plate—for our 2018 photo contest.
The Official Rules of the 2018 TCOG Photo Contest
The TCOG Photo Contest (“Photo Contest”) is open to professional and amateur photographers residing in Canada. Staff of COG and anyone related to the judges are not eligible for this competition.
By entering the contest, you agree to and accept the official rules of the Photo Contest.
Submissions will be accepted until 11:59 pm (EST) on February 15, 2019.
Prizes will be offered in each of six categories:
* Organic in Action: Give us a glimpse of your production, processing, or preparation activities, whether it’s in your pasture, grain field, garden, kitchen, or flour mill.
* Flora and Fauna: Capture the essence of the plants and animals in your gardens and farms, such as crops, livestock or wild things of any shape and size.
* Farm Scenes and Landscapes: Share the view out your window or across the road, in its everyday loveliness or rare splendour.
* Produce and Products: Show off what you grow or make, from your heritage bean varieties or famous berry jam to pastured pork on the BBQ.
* The Faces of Organic: Introduce us to the people who inhabit your organic operation and community, whether they be producers, family members, customers or others along the organic value chain.
* Connecting with Community: Let us in on a moment from your organic community, such as markets, dinners, work bees or other gatherings.
All entries will be automatically considered for all relevant categories, but a particular entry can win only one category.
In addition, all entries that meet a minimum technical requirement* will be considered for the 2018 TCOG Photo Contest’s Grand Prize.
*Technical requirement: The Grand Prize winning photo must be a high-resolution image with a minimum of 2550 x 3300 pixels in portrait orientation.
* Photos must be your own original work. You must be the sole author and owner of the image entered. Evidence of ownership may be requested. COG does not accept any liability for the publication of unlawfully reproduced images.
* There is no limit to the number of entries you may submit. However, each entrant can win a maximum of one prize.
* All entries will be considered for all relevant categories, based on the discretion of the judges. You are not required to specify a category for your entry or entries.
* Entries may include digital photos or prints. To enter a print photo in the contest, scan it and submit the digital file. All entries must be submitted in .jpg or .jpeg format.
* Digital alterations beyond standard photo optimization (cropping, reasonable adjustment of contrast, brightness, etc.) are not permitted.
* TCOG reserves the right to exclude any entries that include inappropriate subject matter or excessive digital alterations.
How to Enter
Submit your entries using the submission form below.
Prior to entering, save each photo with your name and photo subject in the file name, in .jpg or .jpeg format. Do not reduce the file size, except for photos greater than 8 MB in size.
On the submission form, you will be asked to provide the following information for each entry:
* Your name and contact information
* Photo title
* Photo caption
* Photo description, including approximate date and location
You will also be asked to verify that:
* You have read and agree to the Photo Contest terms and conditions
* You have obtained consent for publication from the photo’s human subjects, if applicable.
If you experience problems with the submission form, email us at email@example.com.
Selection of Winners
Photos will be judged on visual appeal, clarity, composition, and their ability to capture the spirit of the Canadian organic sector and community. Photos will be Judged by a panel comprised of COG volunteers and staff and members of the organic community.
Winners will be notified by March 15, 2019. Only the winners will be contacted. Each entrant can win only one prize.
One Grand Prize will be awarded. The winning photo will be featured on the cover of TCOG magazine in Summer 2019 and on the TCOG website. The winner will receive a mounted print of the final cover design, a 1-year subscription to the magazine, and three COG Practical Skills Handbooks of their choice.
Prizes are also offered for the best photo in each category. Winning photos will be featured inside TCOG magazine and on the TCOG website. Winners will receive a 1-year subscription to TCOG magazine as well as an additional prize from one of our sponsors.
You retain all rights to your submitted photographs, including ownership if applicable.
By entering your photo, you grant COG a royalty-free, non-exclusive right to reproduce it for any purpose at any time in any media, with attribution. The images may be used in print and digital editions of TCOG magazine, on TCOG and COG websites, and in promotional or membership and donor solicitation material. The winners consent to the use of their name and/or photograph in any promotion of the Photo Contest and the winners.
COG reserves the right to change the terms of or discontinue the Photo Contest without notice. COG’s decision on all matters relating to the Photo Contest is final.
Please email any questions about the Photo Contest to firstname.lastname@example.org.